Monday 23 April 2012

Fine City Freeganism


So, this is the first post! Basically, this blog is to document and share the tasty stuff my friends and I make from things we've bin dived.

This is bin/dumpster/skip diving, or freeganism:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeganism

Our main reasons for going binning are to eat well for less money and to reduce the amount of food wasted unnecessarily by local supermarkets. I am no expert (and should make it clear that I am not currently affiliated with any larger freegan organisations or groups) but thought it would be fun to share the stuff we make and show what delicious food you can save from going to landfill by bin diving.

I've only been binning for a bit over year but because of my extreme lack of money, the recent discovery of more good places to go locally and a growing awareness of food production and consumption, I've been going pretty regularly for the last 6 months or so. I still buy food in shops but I generally base meals around things that I have dived and buy small amounts of food accordingly. This results in extremely cheap, healthy and delicious dinners.

My friends and I are very, very careful when recovering the food - we are extremely quiet, make no mess ourselves and if necessary clean up any mess already there. We don't ever go diving in private bins, only
commercial ones such as those outside supermarket chains etc. We only take what we can use and if there is a chance of other divers (particularly homeless divers) we will make sure to leave enough for others to eat well too.

I'm always interested to hear what people think and meet other folks doing similar things so get in touch if you fancy it.

3 comments:

  1. Hi I also live in norwich and this is something I have been looking into. As a new by I was wondering if you could tell me where is good to go too and if there any day better than the rest please? Many thanks J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny. My name is Kathy. Please let me know if you are part of a group that does this. I'm looking for groups because it is much safer to look for food with two or more people. I'm interested in looking for food with a group.

      Delete
  2. I live in Norwich too. Perhaps we can start a group. I'm a young girl (of legal age) and would like to began living frugally now so that I won't need to struggle to pay for necessities down the road.

    ReplyDelete