Saturday 16 June 2012

Smoothie & Monster Apple/Banana Pie


Got a whole pack of perfect strawberries the other day, they were four days in date too so that was a bit of a find. I'm pretty sure they only got thrown out because one corner of the plastic over the pot had started to peel away very very slightly. Made a huge epic smoothie with some bananas and soya milk and a little bit of vanilla essence.



I made this mostrous fruit pie last night out of bin dived apples, bananas and pastry. It was amazing. The only stuff that wasn't binned was the lemon juice, spices, fake honey and the Pure spread (I could have used bin butter, but I already had the Pure and it meant it was completely vegan).


Also just as an afterthought, I don't know whether anything has changed recently legally or in specific store's policies or what, but bin diving has been pretty hard. Bins are being put away more often, locked and/or locked up with enormous chains and padlocks, and/or locked away as people are shutting or installing gates and fences to keep people out. I'm not 100% how they've found out that people are doing it at the places we go to (I doubt we're the only divers but there definitely aren't too many others) because we haven't left any traces, I guess it must be CCTV or something.

I obviously don't agree with chains of shops like Tesco cracking down on binning but I do expect it from them, however as individuals I don't understand why staff have a problem with it. It does no harm to the company and no harm to the individual, the food that's dived is being salvaged when otherwise it would be wasted and quite frankly I'm pretty reliant on it (let alone what a problem it must be for the people who are completely reliant on it).



No comments:

Post a Comment